After Mabon, Samhain marks the end of the harvest season and the beginning of winter. The veil between the spiritual and physical realm is at its thinnest, making this the perfect time for paying our respects to our ancestors, remembering and celebrating those who have passed on, and reflecting on the cycles of life and death. Samhain traditions are associated with death and rebirth, and is also the origin of Halloween!
Rituals for Samhain
Samhain is the perfect opportunity for connecting with your ancestors and spirit guides, so whip out your favourite divination tools!
There are many different divination tools available for you to use, from tarot cards, oracle cards and runes just to name a few.
You can even reserve certain divination tools specifically for any ancestors or spirit guides you wish to seek guidance from. If you wish to delve into ancestor work, it is recommended to set up an ancestral altar. Our Samhain Altar guide can help you with getting started.
If you're new to tarot reading, check out our Beginner's Guide to Reading Tarot Cards to help you get started with choosing a deck, understanding the cards and interpreting their meanings.
Samhain Tarot Card Ritual
- Set up your Samhain or Ancestral Altar.
- Cleanse your space and tarot deck using your preferred method of cleansing. This could be by smoke cleansing or using sound such as an altar bell.
- Light your ritual candles.
- Sit down by your altar and clear your mind. This can be done via meditation, deep breathing or just simply taking a moment to calm your thoughts.
- Invite your ancestors or spirit guides to come forth.
- Provide an offering before requesting anything from them. This could be a glass of water, alcohol or even some food. Bonus points if you know their favourite food or beverages!
- For this Samhain tarot ritual, we will be doing a 3 card spread. Shuffle your deck and ask the following question:
"What do I need to let go of?"
- While you're shuffling, a card might pop out at you. If this happens, this is your answer. If this doesn't happen, that is also okay! Simply cut your deck into three piles, then draw one card from the top of one of the piles you feel most drawn to and place it face-up in front of you - this will be your answer.
- Shuffle your deck again and ask the following:
"What do I need to bring into my life?"
- Repeat step 7 for this question.
- Lastly, shuffle your deck again and ask the following:
"What do I need to do in order to make this happen?"
- Repeat step 7 for the last question as well.
Samhain Candle Spell
Samhain is traditionally celebrated with fire and aids us with remembrance. Candles are the perfect modern way of honouring traditional Samhain rituals. The flicker of the candle can induce a hypnotic effect, allowing us to calm our minds so we can reflect on our intentions for this Sabbat.
Our following Samhain Candle Spell is the perfect ritual you can follow using your favourite candle:
- Set up your Samhain Altar and decide on your intention for this spell.
- Cleanse your altar, space and yourself using your preferred cleansing method. This could be by smoke cleansing or using sound such as an altar bell. Recite the following:
"Malicious energies, spirits & intentions must begone"
- Light your spell candle keeping in mind your intention.
- Sit by your spell candle while watching its flame. Envision your spell candle working to bring you what you desire and think about how your intention will manifest in your life. Images may appear to you in your spell candles flame - this is how your ancestors or spirit guides may pass on messages to you.
- Stay by your candle until it burns down completely. In addition to this, you can also write down anything you wish to release or bring into your life. Simply write down your wishes on a piece of paper, fold several times, grab a pair of tongs and light the corners with the flame from your intention candle, then place the lit paper into a cast iron cauldron. The same goes for your burning paper - pay attention to its flame in case any images appear.
Safe witches are clever witches, never leave a flame unattended and always be prepared to safely put out a fire if needed.
Tragic Beautiful has curated a collection of witchcraft supplies, tools, and books available here. Join our coven and learn more about magick! We'd love to see you on Facebook, in our VIP group, on insta and our TikTok!